Thursday, June 18, 2009

Grape Crushing in Wine Country















While watching one of my favorite “I Love Lucy” episodes last night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw0D-Rv_vro) I decided to figure out when and where I had to be to dance in the grapes like Lucy. (This is definitely on my "bucket list" and I think it should be on yours.)

I realize I am somewhat jumping the gun on this one because it’s now only June and the “Crush” or harvest, typically doesn’t take place until September or October, but I decided you should know about this so that you can plan your trips to Wine Country accordingly. I wouldn’t want you to miss out!

“Crush” is the season when grapes are picked and crushed. At this time of year, the entire Wine Country celebrates its harvest with street fairs, festivals, and grape stomps. The largest, most popular grape stomp, at The Sonoma County Harvest Fair, is held the first weekend in October.

So although California’s vineyards have become very technologically savvy, visitors can still find a few traditional wineries and festivals that celebrate their bounty with the old-school, "I Love Lucy" style crush. Surely you wouldn't want to miss the chance to squish some grapes between your toes and unleash your inner Lucy. Just don't end up like this poor lady
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDKhZ8l1n8A).



No comments:

Post a Comment