Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Summer Treats

The snow cone made its delicious debut at the State Fair of Texas in 1919. 

To this day, the icy treat remains to be considered the perfect summer-time refreshment. 

My sister, Abby, works at the most popular snow cone stand in Edmond, OK. "Island Snow," at 2nd and Broadway, is constantly busy serving sweet-toothed youngsters (and others); anxiously awaiting their tasty treat.

Now, don't get me wrong-this snow cone stand is unlike the countless others. Not once have I encountered an unhappy employee at this place. (but how could they be unhappy; they work with all of their friends and are paid in cash!) The ice is perfectly shaven and the flavor is just right. I'm serious...it actually melts in your mouth (unlike than the granulated, crunchy ice that one may associate with the typical snow cone). 

Employees say their most popular cones are "Tigers Blood" (strawberry/banana) & "Silver Fox" (vanilla). However, customers can choose from over 100 flavors ranging from the feminine "Hannah Montana" to the masculine "Ninja Turtle" and the slightly more mature "Margarita" (my personal favorite). 

So if you're ever in the Edmond area on a hot summer day, swing by and try out Oklahoma's favorite "Island Snow." I promise, it will not disappoint. 








1 comment:

  1. my favorite thing about summer: snow cones.
    my favorite flavor: ninja turtle (grape+lime). Thanks for the flavor shout-out :)

    ReplyDelete