Sunday, June 7, 2009

Welcome to Oklahoma: Native America


Today is the last day of the 23rd annual Red Earth Festival in OKC.

Let me first apologize to my Texan friends for not letting ya’ll know about this spectacular event beforehand.

Each time they have driven up for a weekend in this great state, (only once: TCU vs. OU; the only event capable of persuading them to head northbound on 35) their only request has been to see a Native American in living color (statues didn’t count).

I will admit, I failed in my responsibility as a hostess to live up to their expectations. To make up for that failure, I gave one Austinite a Dreamcatcher for graduation. Remedy, yes, but am I satisfied? No. I remain determined to present them with the full “Oklahoman” experience.

And dang-it, I missed my chance this weekend. More than 1200 American Indian artists and dancers came together in OKC to celebrate their heritage. From dance competitions complete with tribal dress to an art show and market of authentic beadwork, basketry, pottery, and paintings, this would have been the perfect opportunity. Maybe next year.


2 comments:

  1. Tisk, tisk, Hodgey!!! You better let us know next year. :)

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad, this was my chance! Maybe we should remember this and make it one of our reunion weekends?

    ReplyDelete